Learn more about

Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance

Mark's Story

Mark and the Water-Main Mishap

Mark’s dream was to open up a cafe. After years of dreaming, he finally decided to act. In 2017 Mark opened the Coffee Pot, a local, small-town cafe, located in the town square. All was good until a water-main ruptured downtown, causing most of the shops to flood. While this was an unfortunate event, Mark never lost hope.

In the midst of the chaos, he remained calm, knowing that he was covered. Insurance Maestro had helped Mark find the best coverage when it came to flood insurance. Just a few weeks later, the Coffee Pot was up and running again. Flooded this time by thirsty customers instead of a busted water-main.  

A Quick Guide to Flood Insurance

At Insurance Maestro, we understand you want to find the best Flood Insurance possible. It needs to strike the right  balance between affordable and comprehensive. Our friendly team of insurance experts are here to support you, and we’re always happy to answer any questions you might have.

Frequently Asked Questions
about Flood Insurance

Will flood insurance payout where there is no presidential disaster declaration?

Yes, a flood insurance policy will pay out a claim whether there is a PDD or not.

Who should buy flood insurance?

If you own a property, you need to consider flood insurance. If you are a property owner in a high-risk flood area, with a government-backed mortgage, then you might be legally required to have coverage in place. Even if you’re outside an area of high-risk, your lender might request you to buy this coverage.

What is not covered under flood insurance?

The cause of the flooding will often determine what will and will not be covered. Remember that flood insurance is designed to cover losses that directly relate to flooding. Sewer back-ups are not covered unless the backup is caused by flooding.

Other things that are not covered under contents or building coverage include:

  • Additional living expenses incurred during a repair or rebuild following a flooding
  • Precious metals, currency, or stock certificates.
  • Property that is external to the insured building, such as decking, fences, pools, and tubs.
  • Vehicles kept on the property

Should a landlord buy flood insurance?

Most landlords will buy flood insurance for their building, but some may request you to buy this as part of your lease agreement. However, even when a landlord buys flood insurance, it will probably only cover the building, and not your contents.

We're Here For You

We want to help you find the best Flood Insurance for your individual needs. If you contact us directly, our friendly team of experts will be happy to talk to you and offer guidance about the different types of coverage you might need to buy. 

Thinking about Flood Insurance?

Read this first.


At Insurance Maestro, we understand that the process of buying insurance can be time-consuming when you don’t always have the answers you need. Our team of personal insurance experts will answer your questions and help you find the best flood insurance for your home.

Flood Insurance – Explained

With increasingly unpredictable weather patterns and the risk of storms more prevalent than ever before, homeowners and renters are rightly looking at flood insurance coverage options. While homeowner insurance will provide some water-related coverage, it often doesn’t provide coverage from flooding. 

Buying flood insurance as a standalone policy will cover losses to any property that arise as a result of flooding. Typically, you get coverage for any structural damage, the clean-up, plumbing or electrical, or AC systems. You can also get extra coverage for your personal property and belongings too; because let’s face it, your clothing, computers, furnishings, and other housewares all amount to quite a sum!

Different Types of Coverage for Flooding

Many insurers offer two distinct options with their coverage. These are building coverage and contents coverage. 

Flood Insurance for Buildings
This will protect the essential systems in a property, such as plumbing, electrical, water AC, and water heaters. It will also cover furnishings such as your permanently fixed carpets, window blinds, and other fixed items such as bookcases, cabinets, and more. Built-in appliances, detached garages, cooking stoves, solar energy equipment, foundation walls, and staircases are amongst some of the other items that are included. 

Flood Insurance for Content
This is more geared towards your personal effects and belongings. It could be your electronics, furniture, clothing, curtains, carpets that are fitted on wooden floors, artworks, washer, dryer, and more. There could be specific limits placed on the value of individual items, but this is handled on a case-by-case basis, depending on the insurer’s terms. 

Regardless of whether you live in an area that is prone to floods or not, buying flood insurance offers that extra peace of mind and fills a gap in coverage that is not offered under a standard homeowner or renter’s policy.

Got a question? We’ve got answers.

Our team of Personal Insurance experts will be happy to chat with you about your unique needs. Contact us today, and we’ll work through the options with you.

Skip to content